Founded in 2011, Youth Movement for Collective Action (UMOVEMENT) is registered nongovernmental, non-political and non-for-profit organizations; which strongly believe that a good education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty and can create a better future for children and their families. UMOVEMENT programs compliment the effort of the Ministry of Education and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs:3,4,5&16). The core programs of Youth Movement for Collective Action are Education, Health Promotion, Disease Prevention, & Livelihood. Meanwhile, Youth Movement for collective Action invites qualified individuals for the position indicated above. Applicants are requested to submit an application letter along with their CVs.
The overall responsibility of the Education Program Officer is to support UMOVEMENT education programs/projects across Liberia in the areas of planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation under the guidance and leadership of Head of Programs, and Office Manager. He/she ensures that efficient and effective systems and processes are in place to enable UMOVEMENT to implement program activities in line with donor requirements. He/she will have frequent interaction with program technical, government and implementing partners.
Duties and Responsibilities #1 – Project Implementation
▪ Lead all field work to conduct baseline, midline and end line studies, school assessments, and other studies that the programs/projects might undertake in the course of the programs/project’s life.
▪ Ensure that all the beneficiary communities participate fully in all the programs/projects work particularly in the prioritizing of community needs.
▪ Working with the Program team and MOE to ensure that programs/projects intervention target, marginalized children, with special emphasis on the girl child.
▪ Train and coach teachers on ECE, Numeracy Boost and Alternative Learning Programs.
- Train and Coach school monitors, teachers, school administrators in the development of School Improvement Plans in collaboration with county education officers and district education officers.
▪ Working closely with the Program engineer, ensure that all construction/rehabilitation works are in line with the designs and BOQs and are of high quality and meet the child friendly school criteria.
▪ Ensure that programs/projects intervention give special attention to the needs of girls and for children with special needs.
▪ Working with school monitors, teachers, school administrators and MOE to promote civic education, life skills, hygiene and nutrition awareness among young learners especially girls in upper classes
▪ Collaborate with other education program activities for synergy in the implementation of project activities.
▪ Design an overall operational plan for each county in consultation with the CEOs, DEOs and other stakeholders.
▪ Oversee the overall implementation of activities of UMOVEMENT programs/projects in accordance with requirements stipulated in the program/project documents.
▪ Provide support to school monitors and education volunteers responsible for the implementation of UMOVEMENT education programs/projects in primary and secondary schools.
▪ Assist Finance Officer in producing project cash flow on monthly basis as per UMOVEMENT minimum standards and donors’ requirements
▪ Ensure that education programs/projects are implemented in close coordination with MOE and other actors of education projects
▪ Establish good working relationship with MOE at county and district levels, teachers and school administrators and ensure that they take the leading role in planning, managing and monitoring of project activities.
▪ Ensure that programs/projects procurement is properly planned and documented as per procurement policy.
▪ Work closely with the procurement officer to follow up the procurement process of the programs/project’s goods and services.
Duties and Responsibilities #2 Partnership & Capacity Building
▪ Train, support and coaching of school monitors, teachers, school administrators and master trainers from teacher training institutes in order to ensure quality delivery of education programs/projects.
▪ Ensure the implementation of UMOVEMENT programs/projects promotes capacity building to the maximum degree possible for local communities, MOE, CBOs and government staff and agencies.
▪ Training and capacity building of school administrators to oversee the management and administration of project schools.
▪ To manage delegated budgets as require in liaison with the Finance Officer to ensure that all programs/projects funds are spent in accordance with UMOVEMENT and donor policies.
Duties and Responsibilities #3 Project Monitoring and Review
▪ Collaborate with the county education officer and district officials of the MOE to oversee programs/projects implementation.
▪ Organize and participate in quarterly monitoring and evaluation of programs/projects.
▪ Ensure that programs/projects monitoring and evaluation system/tools are applied and project progress (activities and outputs), results and immediate objectives (outcomes) and impacts are systematically tracked, documented and shared as appropriate on the basis of UMOVEMENT and donors’ requirements.
▪ Travel to programs/projects sites of Education program and conduct regular monitoring of projects together with MOE and project team.
▪ Ensure the participation of beneficiaries in M&E of project activities.
▪ Provide technical assistance to SMs, CEOs, DEOs, teachers and school administrators through developing standards, monitoring/supervision tools, guidelines and trainings and other mechanisms to ensure quality of primary and secondary education.
Duties and Responsibilities #4 Reporting and representation
▪ Ensure the timely production of quality monthly and quarterly reports by collating reports of different field locations into one report and submission to Finance Officer, Office Manager and Head of Programs.
▪ Document programme learning and disseminate lessons learned to key stakeholders in the field.
▪ Prepare reports on each field visit conducted and submit to the report to Finance Officer, Office Manager and Head of Programs.
▪ Prepare case studies and success stories in the course of your work with the programs/projects.
▪ Represent UMOVEMENT in all relevant forums, stakeholders such as local authorities, community leaders, representatives of NGOs, UN agencies and government issues related to education sector.
Duties and Responsibilities #5 Others
▪ Undertake any other duties as assigned by the Office Manager, Finance Officer and Head of Programs.
▪ Perform other related tasks as requested by his/her immediate supervisor.
▪ Account for UMOVEMENT assets and interests and safeguard from loss arising from fraud, waste, weak administration and poor value for money
▪ Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects UMOVEMENT commitment to delivering service to the needy beneficiaries.
▪ To bring to the notice of the respective Office Manager, Finance Officer and Head of Programs any discrepancies, serious incidents or any urgent information which may need serious consideration regarding day to day program/project activities.
▪ To fulfil any additional assignments as deemed necessary by the organization. Requirements/Person specification ▪ University degree in Education or any other related field.
▪ At least 3 years working experience with education in not for profit public/private sector ▪ Good command of Ms Office applications
▪ Experience with USAID programming preferred ▪ Experience working with Liberian government agencies desirable ▪ Experience working with civil society and/or NGOs preferred Person specification
▪ Strong command of English ▪ Good interpersonal and communication skills
▪ Interest in IT innovations and use of media
▪ An individual with initiatives and strong team work skills
▪ Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups ▪ Establish courses of action for self and others to ensure work completed efficiently and effectively
Ability to apply various UMOVEMENT school monitoring strategies and implementation as designed. Show pride in work, demonstrate professional competence of subject matter, is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines & achieving results; show persistence when faced with difficult challenges, and the ability to identify issues, formulate opinions & make recommendations.
Communication -Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listen to others, correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately; demonstrate openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork Work -collaborates with colleagues to achieved organizational goals, solicit inputs by genuinely valuing others ideas; is willing to learn from others; place team agenda first; support and act in accordance with final group decision.
Planning & Organizing -Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, identify priority activities and assignments; allocate appropriate amount of time for completing work; use time efficiently. Accountability Take ownership of all responsibilities & operates in compliance with the organization regulations and procedures.
Creativity -Actively seek to improve school monitoring & supervision; take calculated risks on new and unusual idea; take an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things.
- Offerd Salary$20,000 - $30,000
- Career LevelOfficer
- Experience2 Years
- QualificationBachelor Degree