Career with BRAC International
BRAC is a development success story, spreading anti-poverty solutions born in Bangladesh to 11 other developing countries in Asia and Africa, making it a global leader in providing opportunities for the world’s poor.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed, started its first programme outside of Bangladesh in Afghanistan in 2002 through the Stichting BRAC International, which is registered in the Netherlands. BRAC International is currently reaching over 19 million people beyond Bangladesh with a holistic approach that uses a wide array of interventions including microfinance, education, healthcare, legal services and more, BRAC invests in communities’ own human and material resources, catalyzing lasting change and creating an ecosystem in which the poor have the chance to seize control of their own lives. Of the world’s top development and humanitarian relief organisations, BRAC is one of the few based in the global south. In 2020, BRAC has been ranked as the number one NGO in the world for the fifth consecutive year by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent media organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector.
BRAC International is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individuals to fill the following position:
Country Director, BRAC Liberia
About BRAC Liberia
BRAC in Liberia was established in 2008 to alleviate poverty through BRAC’s holistic, integrated approach. BRAC Liberia currently reach across 10 counties of Liberia. It operates 33 public primary schools in partnership with the government and 30 community based early childhood development centres. The clubs for adolescents empower girls economically and socially by providing life skills, livelihoods training and creating access for them to receive microloans. BRAC Liberia is also scaling poultry and agro-solutions and exploring social enterprise and improved technology through our feed mill. We also conducted Disaster Risk and Vulnerability Assessment of six counties to integrate risk reduction in our food security programme. In 2017, BRAC in Liberia was honoured for its contribution towards alleviating poverty in the country.
Summary of Duties
Country Director of BRAC Liberia will provide overall leadership and responsible for management of the Liberia Country Programmes of BRAC International (BI). S/he will provide strategic leadership and direction in BRAC Liberia including country strategy and Annual Operating Plan (AOP) development, quality progarmme development and implementation, resource mobilization and finance and human resource management according to the relevant values, policies, protocols and standards of BRAC and BRAC Liberia and build a sustainable country operation. The Country Director will represent BRAC International in the country at different platforms and ensure its profile and reputation with stakeholders are strong and reflect organizational value, vision and mission. S/he is expected to work closely with regional and head office teams to fulfil the duties/responsibilities of the position.
- Lead the development and implementation of high quality country strategic plan and AOP relevant to the local context and the organizational priorities
· Lead, guide and supervise the program managers on planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects to ensure the effective and efficient execution of project deliverables
- Lead and oversee the grants acquisition and management effort in the country ensuring long-term health of the portfolio and achievement of annual targets.
- Strengthen the financial sustainability of programs and operations through effective and efficient resource development effort, outstanding healthy financial ratios, and effective budget administration.
· Ensure adequate systems are in place and followed, regarding program procurements, management and maintenance of project assets, regular inventories and similar activities
· Develop brand and reputation among foreign and national governments, partners, donors and other stakeholders, and develop and maintain productive relationships and be the BRAC’s representative and spokesperson to all publics, including local and international media/ audience
· Direct and manage staffing in the country while focusing on developing capabilities appropriate to the strategic and operational needs of projects/programs and also the needs of both the present and the future within the country and create ownership among local staff
· Ensure proper and transparent management of resources and reporting systems are established in the country in accordance with the policy and procedures and all regulatory requirements of BRAC, host country governments and donor’s policy
· Visit projects to encourage, advice, build relationships, evaluate and inspect the funded projects. Accordingly follow-up with the program managers on the findings of audit, risk register and monitoring report
· Drive, develop, and ensure the adaption, integration, and learning around key areas including safeguarding, gender equity and diversity, monitoring and evaluation framework, risk management registrar in place and updated regularly.
· Uphold, promote, follow and apply the Core Values and Mission of BRAC in the host country
· Establish a safeguarding culture across all level of the programme by implementing the safeguarding policy. Act as a key source of support, guidance and expertise on safeguarding for establishing a safe working environment
· Responsible to ensure team members are appropriately trained, supported and have access to resources regarding issues that are identified and actioned in accordance with the safeguarding policy and procedure
· Follow the safeguarding reporting procedure in case any reportable incident takes place, encourage others to do so.
· Consult with Lawyers to resolve legal issue
· Organize national and international workshop/seminar to represent the BRAC and commence new initiatives
· Attend different national/ International events
· Engagement with different service providers to ensure input procurements for smooth implementation of programme activities
· Organize and participate in inter program coordination meeting like Audit review committee meeting, Country Management Team (CMT)meeting, compliance meeting
· Communicate and discuss with other civil society, organizations, (CSOS), relevant persons & bodies like Educationist, economist to find out the members for advisory committee.
Masters in any Discipline.
· Professional knowledge in diverse development approaches Demonstrable leadership, organizational, managerial and communication skills
· Ability to think strategically, conceptualize new ideas, digest and analyze complex information and present coherent work plan or implementation plan
· Entrepreneurial and proactive
· Possess professional attitude and diligence and able to work independently as well as work in a team
· Culturally sensitivity and ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
· Possess high ethical and moral standards
· Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time efficiently
· Proven skills in networking and relationship building
· Strong analytical and information gathering skills
· Excellent writing and facilitation skills
· Strong communication and representational skills
· Strong administrative skills
· Willingness to often travel to the project site when required
· 10+ years’ experience proven programme management experience in a developing country setting
· Preferred to have experience as Country Director/equivalent role or Deputy Country Director/ equivalent role in INGOs
Employment type: Contractual
Job Location: Country Office, Monrovia, Liberia
If you feel you are the right match for the above mentioned position, please follow the application instructions accordingly:
External candidates need to email their CV with a letter of interest mentioning educational grades, years of experience, current and expected salary at email@example.com
Internal candidates need to apply with their latest CV including all job assignments in detail with BRAC PIN and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention the name of the position and AD# BI 20/21 in the subject bar.
Only complete applications will be accepted and short listed candidates will be contacted.
Women and African nationals are especially encouraged to apply.
Application deadline: 9 July 2021
BRAC is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share the same commitment. We believe every stakeholder and every member of the communities we work with has the right to be protected from all forms of harm, abuse, neglect, harassment, and exploitation – regardless of age, race, religion, and gender, status as an individual with a disability or ethnic origin. Therefore, our recruitment process includes extensive reference and background checks, self-disclosure of prior issues regarding sexual or other misconduct and criminal records and our values are the part of our Performance Management System.
BRAC is an equal opportunities employer
- Offerd Salary$50,000+
- Career LevelExecutive
- Experience8 Years +
- IndustryNGO & Development
- QualificationMaster’s Degree