Chief of Party, Liberia
Based in Monrovia, Liberia
Reports to Vice President, Global Operations Africa
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
With support from the the Global Fund, USAID, DFID, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and other donors, PSI has worked in Liberia since 2008. PSI/Liberia has implemented social marketing and evidence-based behavior change communications to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across a range of health areas including sexual and reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, child survival, WASH, and the Ebola Virus Disease. PSI/Liberia’s historic partnerships with the Ministry of Health and with many non-governmental organizations and community-based organizations in Liberia help to expand the reach of health and communication campaigns in alignment with national policy to reach the most vulnerable.
We are looking for a Chief of Party to lead an anticipated $30 million USAID-funded sanitation project in Liberia. The project will implement a comprehensive county-wide approach for sustainably ending open defecation and increasing access to basic sanitation through 1) Improving sanitation governance, 2) Promoting the adoption of safe sanitation behaviors, 3) Strengthening sanitation markets and 4) Increasing access to financing for sanitation.
• Oversee the design and implementation of a sanitation project that includes strengthening sanitation governance, developing the sanitation market, increasing access to financing, and accelerating the adoption of key sanitation behaviors.
• Provide expertise in developing and executing sustainable solutions for increasing demand and supply of sanitation products and services, including research on existing markets and barriers to growth.
• Serve as the main point of contact/representative of the project to USAID.
• Facilitate senior-level policy and dialogue with the sub-national governments and relevant Ministries and partners.
• Ensure the effective use and coordination of USAID resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with USAID standards.
• Lead internal and external program planning and reporting, including annual work planning with sub-award partners.
• Contribute to supporting the design and dissemination of innovative solutions for sanitation products in Liberia, including providing effective guidance and support to technical members of the in-country management teams and staff assigned to the project.
• Develop and manage a team that includes members of diverse backgrounds, including finance, marketing, monitoring, evaluation, and learning, to successfully co-create and support sustainable models for water and sanitation.
• Ensure sound financial management, including programmatic budgeting, spending projections, and monitoring of payments in compliance with USAID standards
• Ensure high-quality periodic reporting in line with USAID and PSI requirements (Quarterly and Annual Status reports, quarterly financial reports, etc.)
• Oversee the development and implementation of a rigorous learning agenda
• Spearhead engagement and capacity building of local institutions and partners
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous, and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable for driving measurable results.
Commitment: You are independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy into the direction of the team and commit to its success.
• Masters’ degree or higher in engineering, business, management, or related field.
• Minimum ten years of successful experience as Project Director or large donor-funded technical assistance teams for a project of similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries. Progressively responsible supervisory experience, including direct supervision of staff; quality evaluation of staff performance and deliverables.
• Demonstrated experience of successful program management, including management of complex, high-value, multi-activity projects with a significant focus on market-based sanitation approaches.
• 7+ years’ experience in sanitation or related sector or providing technical assistance to improve sanitation sector or market performance in another sector, ideally in Africa.
• A demonstrable understanding of sector issues in Liberia, including issues of public sector governance and institutional capacity building preferred
• Demonstrated skills in effectively negotiating with host governments, donors, UN agencies, other USAID projects, local organizations, and partners.
• Ability to successfully recruit, train, develop and manage staff
• Ability to manage agreements and all necessary programmatic and financial reporting requirements, including sub-grants management.
• Knowledge of USG grant implementation is preferred
• Ability to perform internal control functions to manage day-to-day operations of the projects
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
• Excellent management skills.
• Capacity to effectively deal with and resolve conflict.
• Fluency in English is required
• References required.
• The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
Capacity Builder: You have experience in building institutions, local technical, management and leadership capacity.
Market developer: You have the demonstrated ability in the concepts, principles, methods, and techniques of delivering market-based approaches to water and sanitation.
Collaborative manager. You can inspire a shared vision for the project staff. You have successfully helped your team learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
A connector. You have experience working with Ministries and Governments’ bodies, health care companies, or global health donors. You can spot trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about health needs and opportunities in Liberia.
A Strategist and an innovator. The successful candidate will be a creative, innovative, and strategic thinker and will have excellent communication, analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills, a passion for private sector approaches to development, and a proven ability to produce results.
*Due to the high volume of applications, only finalists will be contacted. Curious about your status? Please log in to your iCIMS account to find out.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.
- Offerd Salary$50,000+
- Career LevelExecutive
- Experience8 Years +
- QualificationMaster’s Degree